About Me

My photo
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
I am Ollie Elliott. I studied BA Computer Games Design and got a 2.1 with honours at Newport University. I'm from sunny Somerset. This is my blog. It's about different things. Go away.

Monday 12 July 2010

Hi..

..I'm super mario galaxy 2. I was designed during the 16 bit era but due technical limitations on the available systems at the time I wasn't able to go into development.
Luckily, thanks to the Wii, I now exist as a fully playable game, but don't worry, none of my design document has changed since the early 90's so if you're not accustomed to the functionality and accessibility of contemporary games in 2010 you can feel at ease.

Judging by my cartoony visuals and endlessly patronising, unskippable dialogue sequences you'd think my target audience was young children however this couldn't be further from the truth. As will become immediately obvious when you play me, I am aimed primarily at experienced digger drivers and the sort of people who post speed runs of my older brothers on the internet.

The character you play as in me, Jumpman, can perform about 20 different types of jump, although funnily enough you will only ever use two of them as the rest are either completely useless or are more dangerous to Jumpman than most of his enemies.

As I mentioned earlier I am developed for the Wii and, although it does run me fairly well until anything bigger than Jumpman moves on screen, I myself do present some of the console's limitations. For example, like many pre-playstation one games, dialogue is presented in speech bubbles rather than as actual audio and, given how little is said in the game, this, on an admittedly laughably current generation console, surprises even me.

Well that's all for now, I might see you again if Ollie lets me back on his blog. Bye.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha, nice one. I think more games should write their own reviews like this.

    ReplyDelete