About Me

My photo
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
I am Ollie Elliott. I studied BA Computer Games Design and got a 2.1 with honours at Newport University. I'm from sunny Somerset. This is my blog. It's about different things. Go away.

Friday 1 January 2010

It'sa me...


I like Jim Croce a lot. I guess he looks a bit like Mario. I had a go at the old school Mario design to see if I could pick up anything about simple but successful character design. I didn't really pay attention while I was doing it though so I'll have to go back and have a look later on. Here's hoping I've picked some things up subconciously haha.
Impressively the design uses only 3 colours: red, yellow and shitty. Despite only 3 colours being used over 143 (I think) pixels on a 16x12 grid we can still distinguish Mario's face, hat, hair, eyes, moustache, shirt, dungarees, hands, buttons and shoes. Clever stuff.
I've never really been a fan of Mario. Probably because we've never had a Nintendo home console. My Mum's got a Wii on the way though. Wario is cool. I prefer Crash Bandicoot :)

No comments:

Post a Comment