About Me

My photo
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
I am Ollie Elliott. I studied BA Computer Games Design and got a 2.1 with honours at Newport University. I'm from sunny Somerset. This is my blog. It's about different things. Go away.

Wednesday 27 January 2010

no skills required


Quick, pointless animation I did using the plaster filter in Photoshop.
I completed Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard last night. It is by far the shittest game I have played for a very long time. Mine and Steve's running commentary/analysis would have most hopefully made the developers cry.
The one thing that made the process bearable was the knowledge that, should I break into the industry, there is no way I could possibly make anything as pathetic. By the end I was physically feeling sick of it, not even joking, not even exaggerating.
Luckily I got a preowned copy for a fiver and it kept crashing. When this happened I was greatly uplifted. I don't think this is the response the developers were hoping for. Nor the relief of knowing that I will never have to play it again once the credits rolled.
It's supposed to be a parody blah blah blah but it was not funny in the slightest. Never has the term "one-liner" made so much literal sense. All we heard was "This is getting riduculous" over and over and over and over and over. And over. We noticed a hundred, if not more, missed opportunities for humour or commentary on video games whilst playing through, none of which were realised.
I did watch the credits, purely to make a mental hitlist of the fucking idiots. I noticed to my unsurprise that there were only two memebers of the testing department.
It's been almost 12 hours and I'm still wound up by the game. Characters using variations of quotes from Die Hard and Star Wars in the final boss battle got to me the most.
There were some cut-scene sections set in "the real world", but they weren't, they were CG as well. How. Fucking. Stupid. Can. You. Get????????? Surely it would be far cheaper, not too mention far more engaging and funny, to just have live action scenes. JESUS.
Seriously Vicious Cycle never make a game again. I know it said Matt Hazard will return... but don't you fucking dare.
BYE.

No comments:

Post a Comment