About Me

My photo
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
I am Ollie Elliott. I studied BA Computer Games Design and got a 2.1 with honours at Newport University. I'm from sunny Somerset. This is my blog. It's about different things. Go away.

Thursday 8 April 2010

You know what really grinds my gears?

Rhetorical question. Rhetorical answer = AI support characters who take credit for shit you've done. Alyx did it in Half Life 2 and it's one of the only things I can think of that I didn't like about that game.
It just happened in Uncharted 2, in the monastery level. I had to move this statue thing to climb up it to get through this gap in the wall but I had to wait for Elena to help me. When we pushed it in place a very short cut-scene showed Elena climbing up it and saying to Drake: "Look we can climb up it. Come on!"

A) I fucking know. It was my idea.
and
B) Please shut the fuck up. I'd be up there now if the cut-scene didn't lock the fucking controls.

In contrast Benson (I think his name is) the Filipino(?) tracker(?) is perfect. He helps you out as much as you do him and, although he talks quite a bit, he doesn't speak English so it doesn't matter. And I can't tell if he's taking the credit or not.

In other news:
I've been trying to play shooting games, Uncharted 2 included, using only the shotguns (where they're available).
Firstly to see if it's possible i.e. have the developers put this gun in to give me more choices in tackling a situation or are they just conforming to the traditional selection of weapons for the sake of it?
Secondly, following on from this, does the traditional weapon set have a place in contemporary games?
And thirdly do you give a shit? No?BYE

No comments:

Post a Comment